Thursday, December 24, 2009

Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I can't believe how many parents are blind to what their children are doing online.. This is a scary, scary thing! There are so many child sexual predators lately - it seems like every news station is trying to catch them.



It makes me sick and nervous for the kids on Yahoo! Questions who put up questions like "Am I hot" and put a link to their myspace site with a picture and personal info. I would never have been allowed to have my own personal computer as a child, let alone be online whenever I wanted to and for however long.



It scares me to think that when I start having kids they will be putting so much personal information up on the internet! I will NOT have that... please, serious answers only.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

The keys to solving this are monitoring and education.



The net is becoming like t.v. and video games... a "babysitter" for the kids. Parents need to quit being lazy and monitor what their children are doing. My daughter is relatively young, but I've let her know now that I will monitor every and all things she does on the net. That's not invasion of privacy, it's parenting.



Kids need to be taught the dangers of the net too. Show them real life scenarios of things that have happened to children and they will begin to realize it's not a joke.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

My space is open so yes it can be dangerous for children. I do think that it should only be for a certain age group. There should be a way where there age block on it.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

high horse honey - the internet is a nasty bit of kit and i am one of those nasties but it will only get worse not better.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

MySpace is lame and I'm not attracted to it whatsoever. Blogger.com does me fine.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

That's why when I have kids, I'll get rid of the Internet. Better to make them live in the stone age than to risk getting them hurt from my inattention.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I think it is very dangerous for children,But it is up to their parents to not let them be on there.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

Well, as long as they don't put any real personal information on there, I don't see how they can be contacted. If they're contacted by someone they don't know, they should not respond, of course.



I think they can also fix their site where only people they give permission to, can access other things on the site.



But yes, there are sexual predators out there, and everyone should be careful.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

it is very bad idea you have the voice of reason among a sea of blind voices



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I don't believe that MySpace is the problem. It's too easy for people to blame something like this rather than parent their children. There are many things in life that are apporpriate for adults that are inappropriate for children. Unfortunately many people don't pay enough attention to their kids. I know that this hurts those who do care but legislating something to try to force people to become good parents won't work and it punishes everyone else.



When my 10 year old sister visits she is not even allowed on the computer unless I am in the room to monitor everything that she does. If I have to leave the room then she does too.



EDIT: IT'S NOT THE GOVERNMENT'S RESPONSIBILITY TO MONITOR OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS. IT'S THE PARENT'S RESPONSIBILITY. YOU CAN'T HAVE THE GOVERNMENT COME IN EVERY TIME YOU THINK SOMETHING ISN'T RIGHT. WHAT MAKES YOU THE BEST JUDGE OF WHAT IS RIGHT FOR OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS? THAT MAKES YOU SOUND ARROGANT AND SUPERIOR.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I THINK MYSPACE IS A BAD IDEA BECAUSE WHEN MY NEPHEWS AND NIECES COME OVER I WANT THEM TO BE SAFE AND NOT LOOKING AT THOSE THINGS. NOW A DAYS THE INTERNET BY ITSELF IS BAD. IF U HAVE KIDS WATCH EM ON THE INTERNET.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

You're right. It is scary. I have an 11 yr old daughter who at one time wanted a space on myspace.com. I had never been on the site before, so I opened it myself to see what it was all about. How in the world does this happen? No wonder there are these crazy people out there trying to lure children into having "relations" with them.



My computer is in the living room. My daughter is not allowed on the computer unless I'm in the room with her, and I will occasionally walk by to be sure she's where she is allowed to be online. There is a certain amount of responsibility you must allow your children, but giving them free run of the computer for endless hours is ridiculous.



Parents must be more responsible than to let their children get away with this type of behavior. It's degrading. Not only is it degrading, it is also very dangerous.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

no its not a bad idea.Its up to the parents to monitor what their kids r doing



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

myspace.com is a valueable tool for marketing. Everything is free. Bands, restaraunts, radio stations, and many other businesses are hopping on the myspace.com bandwagon. It is a social networking bananza.



The opinion of most responsible adults is that their children have no business being on it. I banned my 15 year old daughter from it just to learn that she can go to school, the local library, a friends house etc... to manage her profile... 18 years age is required for myspace users and being a police officer I found it odd that a 15 year old can just lie about her date of birth to acquire an account. My brother-in-law is a school resource officer at a very large school and began investigating myspace to gain evidence against kids who commit crimes and then brag about it on myspace... it has worked very well. At the same time as he finds children under the age of 18 using myspace he has been faxing account profiles with department letter head requesting the accounts be closed. I too am beginning this though it is a tedious process.



It is my opinion that children have no business being on myspace. Myspace has been very good at closing accounts for our police departments when they receive faxes with our letterheads but was wondering if they would be helpful to parents who just call so I have called and emailed twice and not revealed myself as a police officer and my daughters account is still active.



Basically it boils down to naive kids thinking they are all knowing and being intrapped by predators who are very knowing and very manipulative. Parents should have concerns about their children being on myspace. I have an alias account that I use to monitor local activity and to say the least it is not good. Many of the children on myspace are known to me and I know they are under 18 years old.



If you have the time grab a pic and make an account and imitate whoever you want and see how easy it is to get kids to respond. You will hate myspace as I do.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

i do because there can be old guy on there talking to little girls and boys



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

One understands the anxiety manifested in the replies, so what can be done to remedy the situation? cancel the site? impose a filter? start an awareness campaign? I think that the first step starts at home with mutual trust between parents and children and continuous monitoring on their web activities and educating them about its potential hazards.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I busted mine but they were on the level. I monitor it. But then half of my friends weren't. I called the Moms and got em' busted. I care about kids.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

No myspaces arnt bad ideas leave them alone! Your dumb if you decide to meet some from there anyways. Most of the preditors victums are just plain stupid ( some) and its there fault anyways. and myspace has a lot of features that can prevent stuff. like private ones that only your "friends" can see. and alot more!



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I agree there. I'd never let my twins go on there (when they get old enough). Parents should monitor their kids more online. Just recently I heard of someone on the news that was on myspace and got arrested cuz he got another, young teen girl to meet him. There's enough of that stuff without the internet helping. I argree with you.



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I agree with Gypsy



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

myspace is not a problem people only say its a problem cuz of stupid kids if they were smart like me they would make their myspace page private so wierd freaks cant look at all their stuff. but then sum kids have their profiles private and they jus add random people.



so myspace is not a bad idea its just abused by stupid people



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

It is bad for children. Maybe not adults



Who thinks myspace.com is a BAD idea???

I do agree with you that myspace.com is a bad idea. But even worse, it puts millions of kids in danger. I know this is one of predators most favorite sites to go onto because they want teenagers and children to be so gullible and naive. Who ever created that site just caused a nightmare. I am seriously considering not letting my own children to use the Internet without my consent. It seems like I have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
phone